Skip to main content

New Friends and FOOOOOOOOOOD!

We spent last week in Hatteras with my husband’s whole family. There were 20 of us in a beachfront house and this has been tradition for 10 or 11 years now.  It’s a lot of fun but it was also nice for my hubby and I to get away alone for a day and go to, guess where??????? Yes, Ocracoke!  I mean, since we were so close, why not go for the day?

So after ferrying over to the island, we stopped and visited people who are now becoming... friends!  The first person we visited was our realtor with Lightship Realty who was a blessing to us exactly two years ago (this week) by showing us 10 Cuttin Sage, a cottage not even  officially on the market yet (the rest is history and you can go back to the beginning of this blog to read about it).  We then stopped by Blue Heron Vacations to say hi to the staff there who takes wonderful care of our cottage and keeps it marketed and rented for us.  We then met with Tom, the Builder, who is going to start renovating the old dock house into a den in a few weeks (more photos to come!).  Lastly, we met a new friend (from Richmond) who owns the Lightkeeper’s Guest House, a beautiful inn (circa 1929) on Creek Rd. He invited us to sit a spell on his front porch and we had a great time sharing our Ocracoke experiences with each other and are looking forward to sharing more porch time with him in the future!

We also went by 10 Cuttin Sage and noticed that the adirondack chairs were NOT on the dock. They had been stored away in the dock house since Hurricane Arthur hit the coast over July 4th.  So we schlepped them to the dock so the renters could enjoy them this week.

Then..... time to eat! 

My craving for Jolly Roger on the harbor was not met due to the fact that there must have been 2000 extra people (day-trippers) on the island that day visiting. The place was packed. So then we ventured across the street to Dajio, another favorite restaurant. The seafood is wonderful. There’s also Back Porch: divine food, pricey, but not open for lunch.  Howard’s Pub is probably the most famous restaurant on the island. We love the atmosphere, the food is great, but we wanted something closer to the harbor. Dajio fit the bill that day. Ocracoke truly has some of the best seafood I’ve tasted. 

Perhaps the best meal you can get is to go to the Seafood Market, pick out the best fish, shrimp, and crab that was just caught and brought in by the Watermen (I’ll blog about them soon) that morning and take it home and cook it yourself.  There is nothing like sitting on our little dock and eating fresh Old Bay boiled steamed shrimp with Trader Joe’s cocktail sauce and cole slaw from Jolly Roger. Washed down with a glass of Pinot Grigio (for me) and Blue Moon (for hubby) is just a tiny piece of Heaven on earth! Also, my hubby (The Doer of All Things Well) just so happens to be a master griller, too, and when he grills fresh fish, it is truly a beautiful thing! Wow, I’m really hungry now!








So here’s the little dock house or boat house, Phase 2 of 10 Cuttin Sage. I’m not sure what we’re going to call it.  We have some great ideas for it, so I’ll be posting more photos.  It should be finished by Thanksgiving, Lord willing. We hope to bless friends and family with a little extra space, kid’s hangout, whatever!






This shell, found years ago on Ocracoke on one of our many shelling expeditions, is my inspiration for the interior paint color- a true nautical gray!





Why I love this place!


I will keep this up with photos of the boat house renovations and I also must do some research and write about the Watermen of Ocracoke. Stay tuned........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott