Skip to main content

Thanks Giving

I made a choice to be a stay-at-home parent about 30 years ago. When young and single, I was a prestige-seeking, briefcase- carrying, suit-wearing career woman determined to make it in the corporate world because I felt that I had to prove myself to parents (who paid for my college education and wanted more opportunity for their one and only daughter) and prove myself to academics who felt that all women needed to modernize and get involved in the feminist movement which was just beginning to blossom at that time. I felt that I had no value unless I was a college-educated career woman.

However....

as the biological clock ticked on with an Energizer bunny battery and my 30’s approached with frightening speed, that “old-fashioned” nesting/nurturing instinct kicked in with equal ferocity and I soon realized that I not only wanted to be a mother but I wanted to make a serious career out of it, much more than any corporate job I had ever had!

Fortunately, The Doer of All Things Well had a good and secure job and he was able to provide well for a one income family. But even if we hadn’t had that, I was willing to sacrifice anything for the ability to stay home and take care of the bambinos.

After a time, I knew that it was a distinct calling from God because, not only was I able to focus on the children, I also had the time and flexibility to volunteer huge amounts of time to a variety of organizations, all of them Christian ministry- based. I felt I was doing the Lord’s work. Lucky Him.

There were many ups and downs along the way because I was the type of person who could never say no to people. I thought I “owed” it to God for the privilege of allowing me to stay at home and run the household. I became arrogant, overstressed, burned out, bitter toward ministry, and even bitter toward career women who, I thought, had more prestigious lifestyles and were able to duck out of the lowly volunteer duties that I often found myself in. There were mornings when I longed to don my high heels and designer suits and head out to an office where I knew I would get promotions and raises and recognition and all the other bells and whistles one usually attributes to the green grass on the "other side of the fence”. The old thoughts/lies of having no value unless I was a college-educated career woman came flooding back and still do quite often. It has been and still is a struggle for me.  This is when God had to step in in a big way and teach me better things about who I am and who He is.

30 years have passed and I’m approaching 60, my children are grown and moved on to their own lives, and I’m still trying to figure out the next phase of life or “what I want to be when I grow up”. I’m still a caretaker (of the elderly, not children); I’m able to dabble in hobbies like beekeeping, gardening, and cooking/selling some of my  kitchen creations. I’m still involved in Christian ministry as a volunteer but on a smaller scale than when I was younger. God, fortunately, is still molding and shaping me and has taught me many things over the years; mostly, to trust Him in all phases of life and to know that I am adopted as one of His dear children and have value beyond careers, children, volunteer work, or anything else this life on earth has to offer. 

I am so very thankful for this life that He’s given me; the career life, the mother life, the volunteer life, the sacrificial life of nurturing and care taking, all phases and every up and down. 

The grass is still greener on the other side, but my precious Father resides on both sides of the fence and no side compares to what awaits me in Heaven!

10 Cuttin Sage is my happy place and this blog is my happy place and I can hardly believe the grace God has given me and continues to give me every day, all because of the sacrifice of His One and Only Child on the cross in my place and for my sins. He is my true happy place and He is my absolute privilege!

WOW.

It’s Christmas and this is what it’s all about!

P.S. In a few weeks, I’ll be physically at my happy place, 10 Cuttin Sage. Will have another update then. Merry Christmas, my 3 followers!!!!




Something magical about Christmas lights at night!
This is the “fancy” living room tree. I was raised to have a “nice, formal living room tree” and a casual, fun family room tree! And all artificial, of course!


A photo of the family room tree, more casual!



Here is Bodo, The Golden Retriever, competing for the best Christmas pose along with Fonzie, The Granddog.



It’s a lie; I’ve been somewhat good.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott