Skip to main content

Polywog Blog Cynicism

There are many blogs. I follow about 3. Many of them, if produced by women, have beautifully photographed recipes to accompany their thoughts, opinions, travel adventures, etc. Aren’t we so fortunate to have an outlet for all these “thinks” by way of the internet, imagining that there may be someone, somewhere, out in the vast universe, who might just care about what we have to say? If these blogs have their own websites attached to sponsors (ads), then they must be popular (enough) and there are people out there who really do care about what the blogger has to say! 

I enjoy cooking, but not enough to photograph and publish every step in my cooking processes, and my recipes are not at all original.

I like to travel, but I don’t often (except, of course, to Ocracoke Island) and I’m not very good at photographing things (although these iPhones have awesome cameras and you don’t have to be a photographer anymore to make ordinary things look extraordinary).

My thoughts and opinions and experiences are mundane and shallow for the most part and that is why I bring God into it so often because redemption is ANYTHING BUT mundane and shallow and He is good news that I feel compelled to share.

So I pour out my heart in a blog simply because I like to write and I am a journal-er and it gives me something to do when I’m supposed to be doing chores (Ha Ha!) (Today was weed-pulling day. I walked outside, examined all the weeds in the gardens, burst into tears, and came inside to cook and write...therapeutic).

We recently went to OINC for our annual family vacay. The youngest daughter and hubby couldn’t join us because of 2 different wedding events in the same week.  So it was just one daughter and boyfriend, my husband, and I. Very quiet and different but lovely just the same.  We rented a boat for the week which was enormously fun and allowed for much fishing to be accomplished by our Men Who Love to Fish. It afforded us a dinner of grilled bluefish and mackerel one night and also allowed me to experiment with a smoked bluefish and cream cheese spread on crackers. The Doer had never smoked on the grill before, so our multiple challenges were successful except for maybe the bluefish soaking in the salt brine a little too long (a bit too salty for me). We’ll know better next time!

The boat also allowed us to go to our own private beaches throughout the week to set up camp (beach chairs, umbrellas, books, cooler). The Pamlico Sound lends itself to wide sandy shoals for beaching flat-bottomed skiffs for chasing off pelicans and seagulls to gain a right for a piece of the island for our own temporary refuge for lounging and sunbathing.

The biggest disappointment of the week, however, was a huge influx of jellyfish in the sound which made it quite impossible to swim and cool off from the heat. We heard the jellies were even prevalent on the ocean side, so even if we had gone to the ocean beaches, we probably would not have wanted to swim in the surf! Oh well.....(Jellyfish and weeds, the bane of humanity...) Nature is always in charge, after all!

The week quickly flew by (too quickly for me) although much hammocking, reading, fishing, and watching World Cup Soccer was accomplished (along with eating gobs of junk food and delicious seafood at the favorite eateries). BTW, Ocracoke has a new brew pub, 1718 Brewing, named for the year of Blackbeard’s beheading off Springer’s Point, (and it just so happens to be the 300th anniversary of his sad demise). The Pub opened late last year but is NOW serving food by Plum Pointe Kitchen. Scrumptious!

An aside:  My slow oven-drying plum tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, and thyme are smelling heavenly....about 2 more hours. Maybe I SHOULD try a cooking blog....


Now, the token Ocracoke photos:




Such a pretty view of the Dajio garden; Peel and Eat Shrimp Special, Daily 3-5 pm!




I think this guy loves being photographed! He (or a twin) always seems to be hanging below the deck at Jolly Roger’s Restaurant on the harbor




Blurry but so pretty




Lanterns in trees








One of my favorite harbor views, the lighthouse at pale rose dusk.



Marshland on the sound at dusk.



From Jolly Roger's



Also from Jolly Roger’s



And......touchdown....



Back home on our dock.




A “wow" moment from our dock.






The moon and venus, first star of the night.


New tradition: head out for the sunset by way of Jolly Roger and/or the public sound boat landing and watch until the ocean becomes the bottom tangent of the sun, then hightail it home to finish out the spectacular evening of color on the dock.



To change the subject:



This is a new friend. His name is Poly, short for Polywog. He lives out on my back patio in a hole in the dirt in a concrete planter full of orange marigolds.




Poly is quite personable. I think he’s waiting for someone to turn him into a handsome prince. It won’t be me because I already have one...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott