Skip to main content

Peace

We were on the Island (The Doer and I) for 2 weeks at the end of September to beginning of October 2020.  We hauled my brother-in-law’s boat (named Big Fun) down for the 2 weeks and had the kids there the first week and then some good friends of many years there for the second week. There’s no need for details that have already been described in the blog numerous times before: wonderful food, sunsets, fishing, reading, relaxing, laughing, etc. I did a whole lot of sitting on porches (see past posts), reading, and watching scenery. I tried to get a few walks in at least the first week, but mostly sitting. In fact, I did so much sitting and relaxing that by Wednesday after we returned home, I found myself in the Emergency Room at our local hospital with blood clots so large that the doctors couldn’t believed I was still alive and walking around! Evidently, too much sitting still (also spent 2 days in the car traveling back because we took our time in Williamsburg, VA) is not really  a good thing. Thus more lessons were learned on that trip, too!

As I lay in the Emergency Room with all its activity, computers, needles, bags of fluids, beeps, concerned faces and lowered voices, etc., there really wasn’t much going on inside my head! I stayed blessedly ignorant of all things happening. What I felt was a peace that went beyond my human understanding but a peace that I knew was a gift from God. I only had 3 things going on in my head:

I knew I should be scared;

I knew I wasn’t at all well;

I knew that I was lucky to be living.

What I felt was:

I was in a good, safe place in a hospital;

I was safe in God’s loving arms no matter what happened;

I had the peace that “surpasses all understanding”.

I could stop this post right here. This is enough to know.

But I’ll keep going because it has been 4 months since all that happened and I feel good on blood thinners and more walking and I still feel the peace that “surpasses all understanding”! 

2020 was the pits, but God is always good even in the pits. I’ll have more blood tests done in a couple more months, and, God willing, I can go off the blood thinners and be promoted to baby aspirin. There is a genetic component to all this so our daughters have to be vigilant now. I am praising God for the embolism because I am safe and our daughters are now aware and can be safe in the future. 

So.....no more sitting too much on porches or on car rides!




We took a sunset cruise one evening out on the sound.






How’s that for spectacular?








This photo speaks for itself with the lighting and reflection of the canal in the Boathouse window.







Where we did a lot of sitting. Big Fun is in the background and is definitely aptly named.






The Mexican Petunias looked beautiful in the fall.






Another gorgeous sunset.





 This is Daisy, one of our favorite guests.                                                                 

 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott