Skip to main content

Blunders, Sunsets and College Memories

First an apology to my ornithologist friends out there who might be (but probably aren't) reading this blog.  Anywhere you've seen the word "heron", please substitute the word "egret".  I have admitted my inadequacies in photography, history, and measuring distances. Now I admit that I know nothing about birds and bird watching.  I thought an egret was a heron. The problem with a blog is that eventually a person's ignorance is bound to come out with a blunder somewhere.  Anyway, the beautiful white birds with long, graceful necks that look like a cross between a swan and a flamingo are egrets and are prevalent in the marsh grasses behind our house. I'll include a photo of them soon!

Last month, I visited the island again; this time with my college roommate and dear friend for many years, a reconnection that was years overdue. That's one of the beautiful things about the empty nest. You can travel in September!  We spent our days drinking coffee and Moscow Mules (a great concoction from college days that I had completely forgotten!!!), sitting on the dock and reminiscing, catching up on kids and family, kayaking around the sound and through the marsh, discussing Jesus Christ and other spiritual matters and the meaning of life and what lies ahead for the both of us. 





This is how clear the water looked on the ferry trip over to Ocracoke. I had never seen it like this before. It looked like the Caribbean Sea that day. Perhaps it was just the way the light hit the water that particular day, or maybe the excitement of spending a week with a best friend, but there was something magical about the clarity and color of the sound that took my breath away as we left civilization and headed to our beautiful Ocracoke Island.




My favorite part of the trip was that we would wait until about 4 or 5 in the afternoon to hit the beach. That's my favorite time of day on the beach and it's a gorgeous time of day on the beach. The sun's not hot, the crowds are gone, the water is warm in September.....it's just..... perfection. We packed our snack supper of cheese, grapes, and shrimp salad from the island deli, a bottle of wine, a couple of beach chairs and sat out until the sun set. We were sometimes the last people on the beach.  The sunsets were spectacular that week.  What a blessing to be able to spend unlimited evening time there and enjoy it until dark.  That was a first for me.  Usually with kids and family, we spend the hottest part of the day on the beach, slathered in lotion, hot and sweaty, and have to come in to get ready for dinner right when the afternoon sun and surf are at their best!  This time, there was no worry about meals, restaurants, make up or hair.  We just completely absorbed ourselves in the beauty of the ocean. 





First afternoon on the beach.  It looks like a painting. The sky was just beginning its transformation to pale pinks and lavenders in preparation for sunset.




                                     

God put on a show for us.  This is a spectacular sunset. I wonder if all the September sunsets are like this on Ocracoke?









A new tradition has begun; trips to Ocracoke in September from now on!



In October, a trip is planned with parents.The older generation wants to see our project! My husband's parents and my mother are going with us just for a few short days so that they can enjoy what we've done on the Island. I can't wait for them to see it. I'm praying for good weather and I'm sure I'll have an update after that adventure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott