Skip to main content

Bee-atrice and Ruth Buzzy

Last Friday, I took a trip to a honeybee farm about 3 hours from home to pick up my 2 boxes of honeybees that I had ordered a couple of months ago.  This was not without a heavy load of anxiety and trepidation.  With Mr. Dodson gone, I knew I was completely on my own.  I could not fathom the experience of traveling 3 hours with 30,000 honeybees in my car.  My fear level was pretty high, I must admit.  My daughter, The Teacher, said it was like a Fear Factor episode!  (But I didn’t win a million dollars).  Thank goodness it was a beautiful, sunny, “sapphire throne” kind of day and I focused on prayer and scripture all the way to the farm and back.  It’s amazing (although it shouldn’t be) how prayer and scripture meditation bring peace (that surpasses all understanding).  So a focus primarily on Philippians 4:13 and Philippians 4:6-7 brought me (through the Holy Spirit) the peace I needed to get through that journey. I got home that evening, donned my bee suit, and placed the bees into 2 hives; one a traditional Langstroth hive and the other, a new top bar hive. I think Mr. Dodson would have been proud of me.

I guess I should explain that you buy bees by the “package”, which is a 3 pound wooden box with screened sides that allow the bees to breath.  There is even sugar water inside that they eat until they get installed into their new homes.  Also inside the box, is a queen in a tiny wooden/screened cage that protects her from being killed by the other bees and gives them time to get used to her and accept her as their queen.

I am now the proud owner of 2 honeybee hives. I learned in my “bio-dynamic” beekeeping classes at Spikenard Honeybee Sanctuary that it’s a good idea to name them.  That way you view each hive as a single entity, one organism, or one body. Also, if a hive grows, divides, and swarms giving birth to a new hive, and you are fortunate enough and knowledgeable enough to capture it, you should name the new hive with the first letter of the old hive. For example, the honeybee sanctuary had multiple hives with names starting with “S”:  Susannah, Solstice, Solis, etc.  The original “Susannah” had given birth to multiple swarms which were captured and placed in new hive boxes. I noticed that all the hives there had female names, I guess because of the queen mothers and also because most honeybees are female. Spikenard is a gorgeous place and I would recommend their website to find out more about their philosophies and see beautiful photos of the farm and bees.

So....
Bee-atrice and Ruth Buzzy are one week old today. I am feeding them bee tea: a mixture of honey, water, and herb tea, a recipe given by the bee instructors at the Sanctuary to strengthen the bees and the hive.  Evidently, sugar water is like feeding them junk food.... go figure!  We were given this bee tea to drink at Spikenard and it is delicious.  The scent is fresh, floral, earthy, and sweet.  Perhaps I should start drinking it!

Ruth, the top bar hive, looks really strong and active at this point. Ruth’s hive has a glass observation window which allows me to cheat a little; I can look inside her without opening her up. However, I’m a little worried about Bee-atrice in the Langstroth.  Her front porch doesn’t look as busy. I will do a 10 day check soon to see if her queen is active and laying eggs.

Day 10 check:  Yesterday I did the 10 day check and found that both hives are looking great!  There is some gorgeous comb being made, nectar forming which will turn into honey, and larva forming.  I have had to feed them 3 times so far. I was able to open them up with only a veil on (well I had on jeans and a T shirt, too).  It was a gorgeous day and they were happily foraging. 



Bee-atrice and Ruth Buzzy adjusting to their new condos.





Ruth’s front porch.  The Doer built the metal barrel-shaped rain roof for the hive.





This top bar hive is from BackyardHive.com.  Isn’t it great?


I have to restrain myself from opening them up too much.  They are better off left alone (aren’t we all in some way?). It is addictive looking into the hives to see progress and I know it’s not good for the bees to be intruded upon by humans.  

I guess I’m fascinated by nature.  And I’m glad that I’m fascinated by it.... Nature is God’s artwork.  Poetry, art, and music also fascinate me and I think they are also God’s artwork (by Man).... but nature is right outside my door, and it’s free, and it’s, well, natural... and not clothed with any twisting of humanity that is the sin nature.  It seems purer in some way.  Does that make sense?????



Maybe the next post will be about Ocracoke..........





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott