Skip to main content

March Madness

Here we are at 10 Cuttin Sage; mid-March. It’s like the Island is slowly peeking out from under a blanket of winter-gray, stretching it’s arms, yawning at the dawn, and feeling like it’s time to get up and get to work! It’s high time to hit the sand and get this island ready for summer company!  Today is Saturday and I can hear hammers hammering and construction tools running; shops are open, but only for cleaning and stocking store inventory for now.  Our favorite restaurant, Dajio, is thankfully open and we had some marvelous seafood there Thursday night!

My hubby (The Doer of All Things Well) and I are working, working, working to get our little cottage ready for summer fun. It’s looking spic and span, freshly cleaned, paint touched up, dusted, vacuumed, mopped, polished....... I would love to stay here for a vacation!!!

One daughter (The Future Event Planner) was here with her boyfriend (The Future Engineer) and her best friend (The Future Businesswoman) to spend a little relaxing spring break time with us, but they left today to head back to college life. Now hubby and I are here alone to get the “real” work done. (However, The Future Engineer was a HUGE help to The Doer of All Things Well with fixing gutters and cutting tree limbs).

The cedars are in full bloom around the house and we have all been sniffing, sneezing, coughing, hacking all week here. It took until yesterday for us to figure out that  we’re allergic to cedar pollen! The weather here is pretty chilly and breezy: not quite warm enough to sit on the dock or screened porch to watch the wildlife; but it’s getting there. The sun has real warmth in it (it’s the cold breeze that gets you!)






 This is my personal favorite spot at 10 Cuttin Sage. It’s got to be the most peaceful and quiet place on earth!!! From here you can see the sun set just off to the right of our dock.  To sit here and sip a glass of wine at sunset is one of God’s greatest earthly blessings.  To see the marsh birds, the turtles popping their heads out of the water, the ducks diving under to catch fish, the hermit crabs scurrying under the dock, the marsh grass alive with wildlife......well, what more can I say?








This drift wood/tree root washed up in our yard and I love that it reminds me of the character, “Davy Jones” in “Pirates of the Caribbean”.  I’ll have to get a better photo of it next time I’m there.











 New picnic table for the bottom deck!!!




Hubby bought it for $88 at Lowe’s, stained it, sealed it, assembled it, and it will probably last forever!  Did I say he is a Doer of All Things Well??????





This is a storage shed just off the dock.  We call it “The Boat House”.  We plan to rehab it in Phase 2 of the 10 Cuttin Sage Project.  It will probably end up being a game room or den for an extra hangout at the cottage. We’re open to ideas..............??????????








This structure is on the dock over the fish cleaning station.  The light is obviously to light up the fish bench. We’re not quite sure what the small hook is up high.  It’s way too small and way too high to hang a fish on it. Any ideas?????????








 I love what the previous owner did with the decks and walkways out to the dock.  I’ve never photographed them before.  My hubby added the posts with rope along the bulkhead for a decorative look.







 This is our walkway to the old outdoor shower.  We're trying to decide if we need to rehab that, too.  It’s a basic old-fashioned outdoor shower with hot cistern water, but absolutely no privacy!!!!! The next door neighbors can see directly into the shower from their back deck (haha!)









Our neighbor appears to have a new addition to his Fish Camp cabin.  I believe he’s inspired by "Duck Dynasty”.  What a great fishing boat.  Next time I see Brandon, I have to find out about this!!!!


Next trip is planned for some time in May. I can’t wait to get back here.  I’ll keep everyone updated on island life!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott