Skip to main content

Old Friends and FOOOOOOOOD!


This is actually a continuation of the last blog post.  In the last post I wanted to focus on the outdoor shower project because I felt I should brag about my hubby (The Doer of All Things Well) just a bit.  

It is purely the grace of God that He gives us good friends for life. We only have a few of those that we ever get in our lifetimes and I truly feel it’s a present from Him as we cherish times and memories together.  We had a week of fantastic late summer weather with our close friends.  We don’t see them often, but when we do, it’s like we never parted.  That is what makes a true friendship.  

The ferry over was beautiful.






Last year I posted a photo just like this in the September 2013 blog post.  I have been looking for this Caribbean-like water ever since that time, and I haven’t seen it until this past September.  Evidently, there’s something about the September sun, sky and water in late afternoon that brings out this gorgeous shade of clear blue-green in the sound between Hatteras and Ocracoke.







The sun was low in the sky that afternoon. We took the 4:00 ferry over and it was a beautiful ride.


My College Roomie and I had fun doing absolutely nothing while the hubby’s worked.  I think we got the better end of the deal!  College Roomie’s Doer of All Things Well made breakfast for us every morning.  We read, we walked, we napped, we jogged, we rode around in a golf cart, we napped, we beached, we watched sunsets every night, we ate, we fed ducks, and we napped.

The Doers also hung a hammock between  2 perfect trees out back on the canal. All I can say is.........wow!  September breezes make it ideal for napping on a hammock by a canal!!! Unfortunately, one hammock among 4 people brought out the competitive spirit in us as we fought for first place on it.





A sunset off our little dock.







A sunset off the big harbor from the Jolly Roger restaurant.



We also had our fill of truly great food that week.  We dined at Back Porch, Eduardo’s Taco Truck (best Mexican food ever!!), and Jolly Roger.  But the best dinner out was on our little screened porch where The Doer of All Things Well grilled some fresh flounder caught that very day by one of our fish camp neighbors and given to us out of the kindness of his heart (this is a TRUE gift when you price fish at the Seafood Market). We also had gone to the Seafood Market that day and bought fresh shrimp which we boiled in Old Bay and ate with Trader Joe’s cocktail sauce (a new favorite of mine).  That with some Moscow Mules made it one of the best meals I’ve ever had, but the company was really what made it so wonderful. Friends still friends after 30- something years.





Preparing for a true dining out experience!






The beach is the only place you can get fish and shrimp this fresh (obviously).








Grilled with butter, lemon and Old Bay Seasoning.





This is making me so hungry!








We had a great time watching, feeding, and talking to the ducks when we tried out our new Duck Commander duck calls.






The Doers of All things Well deserved some relaxation time.  So hard to say good bye at the end of the week!  

However, I didn’t  talk about the work accomplished on the renovation of the Dock House.  I’m saving that for another time! Tom, the Builder, is working on that as I speak!  We have some great ideas going on there (thank you, Pinterest) with some great photos, too!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott