Skip to main content

Is It Really Worth It?

So, what is this?  A story about an island on the Outer Banks of North Carolina?  Is it a story about a beach house rental?  Is it a decorating blog?  A marketing blog?  Is it about me?  Is it about life and love and ups and downs and blessings and waiting and wondering and fearing???  

Monday:  I’m sitting here in the dining area of 10 Cuttin Sage- sick, my hubby’s sick, the weather is gray and windy and cold.  We have a monstrous amount of work to do this week to get the cottage in shape for guests next month.  The winter months on Ocracoke always wreak havoc on paint, porches, outdoor furniture, decking and walkways.  Ants and other crawly creatures have moved in to take up residence and get out of the cold (I don’t blame them).  The cedar trees are out again this month and allergies have combined forces with this cold I’ve caught to battle it out with my immune system.  I can’t sleep because of the Doer’s truck-rattle kind of snoring that shunned me from the bedroom last night. I move outside of the bedroom to the living room sofa; the snoring still keeps me awake. I can’t move upstairs because I didn’t bring sheets for any more beds, and I don’t sleep in beds with no sheets.  I trip over the Doer’s tool bag and cordless drill in the darkness.  The house is a wreck because of tool bags, tools, paint cans, cleaning supplies, mops, brooms, etc.  

We found out that the newly installed (but used, because we’re trying to recycle and save $$) heating/AC unit in the Boat House doesn’t work. (The one we paid $400 to have installed so that we wouldn’t have to pay $1200 for a new one.)

As I look around the house, I see To Do lists in every corner of the house. And every time we get into one project, we find more things that need to be done. Then I wonder why the heck I’m wasting time blogging???  (I AM the Queen of Procrastination).  This trip isn’t turning out to be nearly as much fun as usual. This is one of those times when I wonder if all this is worth it: the cleaning, the investment, the maintenance, the upkeep, paper work at tax time.....  And should I even be blogging when I’m feeling down and depressed or only when I’m happy and in a good mood?  Does anyone really care?????

Tuesday:  I look outside the dining room window and see Mustache-io, the Cat trotting up  Fish Camp board walk toward the house.  There is a pair of geese hanging around the dock (probably because I fed them bread last night) diving under water, white tails high in the air,  to eat whatever is on the bottom of the canal.  They're waiting for me to come out and join them (AND DON’T FORGET THE BREAD!)  I name the gentleman,  “Mr. Honky the Goose”.







My husband opens the door and calls in to me, “I want you to come out and meet some people!”  So I go out sniffling, coughing and sneezing, dreading to meet people in paint-stained pants and T-shirt (me, not them).  I reach out to shake hands, forgetting that I'm about to post cold germs on their skin. Too late..... oh no, I shouldn’t have shaken their hands, or I should have warned them that I’m sick.  Now should I pretend to not be sick so they don’t realize that they're about  to catch my cold, as I try desperately to stifle coughs?

Turns out this couple owns the precious Fish Camp house down at the other end of the boardwalk... the one where I attributed the remodeling to a woman in a previous blog?



  

They invited us to walk up and take a tour.  They have been coming to Ocracoke for about 30 years, all the way from Ohio.  They bought and remodeled the Fish Camp cabin so that they could stay there while they renovate and rent out their other cottage. (I’ll get to that story later).  Turns out, they own a graphic design company and are both graphic designers; he is an artist and painted artwork on the walls of the cabin.  If only I had taken my camera with me!  No surprise that this cabin is a charmer! It is every bit as charming inside as out.  It’s truly a “tiny house” and extremely livable...something you’d see on HGTV.

Thursday:  I wake up feeling about 75% better. The Doer and I are able to tackle the screened porch; the weather is beautiful today, warm breeze and sunshine. We scrub every railing, chair, table, fan blade, light fixture, floor board, ceiling board, etc.  We notice that the porch needs to be re-screened and repainted soon. More upkeep which the Doer will want to do himself, because he’s a Doer.  The floor is old, worn and peeling, but I like it that way.  The Doer does not.  I talk him into giving it another 2 seasons and then we’ll do everything at once. He thinks that’s a good idea.

The Boat House got furnished yesterday with it’s new recycled plastic couches (doesn’t that sound soooo tacky?)  After cleaning the porch and running errands around town, we spend this afternoon hanging stuff in the cabin. We put in place two of my husband’s latest projects, a coffee table made of old barn wood (which he rescued from our family barn at home which collapsed in the snowfall a month ago).  We also hung a barn wood rack he made on which to hang antique fishing poles. We also hung an aerial photo of the Ocracoke harbor village that was taken in 1996 and given to us by our new friend that owns the Light Keeper’s Inn that I wrote about previously. At night we sit in the Boat House as the sun is setting, eat sausage, cheese and crackers and watch a movie, relaxing from a day of work.  Mr. Honky, the Goose is just outside honking at us from the canal.  What atmosphere!





The new old fishing pole rack.  The rods came from an antique shop back home.  They were surprisingly inexpensive.  Again, the wood is old barn wood.




 A close up view of the rods and reels.






I think the furniture is perfect for a boat house!!! It is virtually indestructible!









And note this beautiful table my hubby made!  His new hobby now is furniture making.  He used both oak and chestnut in this piece and I love it! The finish is beautiful.



This is the photo given to us by a friend with a home on the island.  It’s amazing how much development has taken place since 1996.  




                                            And the view outside is awesome!


Friday:  Last day here and I’m feeling better but now quite melancholy!  I don’t want to leave because we won’t be back until September!  This past week, I was blessed with meeting a wonderful couple from Ohio, touring their fish camp cabin AND seeing their latest project, an old Assembly of God church that was going to be torn down and replaced by a new church building. Because of their love for Ocracoke, the church, and old buildings, they bought the church for $10,000, moved it to the other side of the village, restored it and turned it into a 3 bedroom, 2 bath rental cottage.  They preserved every ounce of the character and integrity of that building and it is charming!  The congregation was thrilled that the little church was saved.  The husband is also a Doer and he and his wife did most of the work themselves.  When I griped a little about the work and upkeep of property down here, his wife said, “But it’s a labor of love, isn’t it?  Isn’t is all worth it?” They invited us to church next time we’re down and after hearing a little about the church, I’m so eager to try it! Seems to be a Godly bible-teaching church, the only kind I would want to attend.

While visiting in this charming home, I also got to meet and visit with a real born and bred Islander, Joyce, who is almost 80, with the original Ocracoke accent that I have so longed to hear, committed member of that church and full of stories about island history. Sadly, there are not too many of these people left.

Blessings abound this week as God has given us more new friends, stories to tell, Mr. Honky the Goose and of course, time with Becky the Cat who loves to cuddle up on my lap every evening on the dock.  We also have a beautiful clean house, renters to come and enjoy it this summer and....

Yes, it’s worth it!


PS:  Weatherbug is now calling for 32 degrees tonight and a frozen mix tomorrow.  I believe it’s time to go home....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott