Skip to main content

The Doer

I have the best husband in the world.  No really, I do literally have the best husband on earth.  In fact, I should get the trophy for the best husband on earth!  Now, I know some women who would fight tooth and nail over who has the best husband in the world..... 

but I still think I’d win.

My husband has more common sense than anyone I’ve ever known. He is extremely handy, well-organized, very talented, and is able to do absolutely anything he puts his mind to doing.  And whatever he does, he does it correctly and to perfection.  He is amazing to me, especially when I think back through our 30 years together and all we’ve done and been through together.  Oh yes, I should mention that our 30th anniversary is next month!

He was a dad who, despite having an extremely demanding work schedule, managed to make every sporting event, recital, awards banquet, school meeting, vacation trip, and  activity that was important to our daughters.  He helped with school projects; not just for our kids but even neighborhood kids and school friends as well because he was a Doer of All Things Well and had a boatload of awesome tools that could do All Things Well in his workshop.  He helped with science projects, art projects and even made crosses for kids when their beloved pets died and needed to be buried.

He pretty much made all my dreams come true.  If I could think it, he would build it.  He built houses (2) to my dreams and specifications, he finished basements (3) to my dreams and specifications, he built retaining walls to my dreams and specifications, he built playgrounds to my dreams and specifications, and of course, he bought a beach cottage and had it renovated from far far away.  All these things were done while simultaneously running a successful business. And to top it off, he loves Jesus!

 And he still does make my dreams come true.

The predicament is, my husband is NOT married to the best wife in the world!  We are a good team but sometimes the relationship’s a little unbalanced. I like to read and binge-watch Netflix and take naps (and blog). I like to stop and smell the roses... and then the lilacs... and then the laurel... and then the lilies...  When he gets started on what all needs to be DONE (by me) in preparation for our Ocracoke work week: prepared for and gathered up and phone-called and note-written and shopped for and planned as we get ready for Ocracoke at 10 Cuttin Sage, I get sweaty palms, heart palpitations, mild panic attacks, and shortness of breath.  It’s because I can’t imagine all these things being done in a week’s time.  I previously wrote (2 posts ago) about our new kitchen island with the beautiful hand-painted Mexican tile that I chose for the top. Of course, we can’t find anyone to actually lay this beautiful hand-painted Mexican tile that I chose for the top which means The Doer of All Things Well is going to have to do it himself when we get down there.  It takes days to lay tile when it has to dry and harden and cure and be grouted and all that.  We don’t have unlimited days..... not when the house has to be cleaned, windows washed, a hot water heater replaced, dock boards repaired, and a window screen replaced.  

So while I look upon this trip with utter fear and anxiety (I mean, Ocracoke is for reading and watching sunsets on the dock and napping and having fun!), The Doer is charged up with excitement over a week of doing chores and repairing things to make them better. I wish I could be like that. Oh well, he’s hung in there with me for 30 years trying hard to make me better despite my anxiety and laziness and desire to stop and smell all the flowers....

maybe because I’m a Trophy Wife?????.........  

How I wish........






Yep!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott