Skip to main content

Embracing Weeds and Wrinkles

I just celebrated a birthday.... 59 as a matter of fact.  I’m not ashamed to admit my age because it really doesn’t matter.  As I get older and increase in years, gray hair (thank you, God, for good colorists), wrinkles (from enjoying way too much sun in my fair-skinned youth), and joint pain (from way too much gardening), I can’t think of anything I would have changed or done differently.  I wouldn’t have traded those sun-filled days by pool and beach for anything! Those are the best memories I have!  The joint pain is proof of my love for gardening (my garden spaces are really quite beautiful) and I won’t give up the spade and shovel until my fingers are completely frozen.  The gray hair is easy to cover up.  So I’m thankful for good health and I will wear these signs of aging with pride and I’ll keep on plugging away until I literally can’t anymore. Age truly is just a state of mind and, as I am no longer young, (well, Aunt Blanche thinks I look like a teenager but she’s 102) I’m not yet old and really am at the most perfect age in life! 

I love life.  It is the most perfect gift of God’s grace; to know that He loved me enough to want to create me in my mother’s womb and plan a meaningful life for me to glorify Him. And...to top it off.... His Perfect Son died in my place for my sinfulness, and now He’s given me eternal life and hope that only those with this unique relationship with Him can ever possibly understand.

Life and health and earth and living and relationships and EVERYTHING we can humanly perceive are marred. We all know it.  We all experience it.   We plant lovely gardens and soon every ugly, thorny, and twisting vine and weed take over and choke out the beauty.  We plant and tend our gardens but fight off

mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, gnats, poison ivy.

We play outdoors in sun and surf and eventually get

burned, wrinkled, cancerous.

We eat the bounty of the most prosperous country on earth and get

fat, sick, diseased.

We nurture and invest ourselves in friendships and family and relationships only to be

betrayed, hurt, broken.

Whether or not you accept the notion of our increasingly warming earth, the fact is, it is moaning and groaning from the toll of 

modern living, pollution, greed, materialism.  

In a garden long ago, there was one perfect man and one perfect woman in a perfect love relationship with their Father and Creator in a perfect garden in a perfect world for a perfect eternity. All was marred, twisted, turned by a willful disobedience and a desire to become “little gods”. We are all guilty and we are all paying the price for it, including nature.

God has already told us in His word, that the earth WILL cease to exist, by His will, not ours.  So I don’t understand why there’s so much arguing going on by differing parties and points of view except that we all want to blame everyone other than ourselves for what is happening on this planet. I guess I really do understand because most people don’t have a personal relationship with their Father and people still want to become “little gods”.

So......until God is finished with me on earth and takes me home to eternity, I think I’ll choose to live a joyous life.... be it home on this old farm property or at 10 Cuttin Sage on Ocracoke Island and I will choose to embrace all the imperfection......

even my weeds and wrinkles!!!


For my followers.... stay tuned for another adventure on Ocracoke Island....soon!

Have to post photos.....and every photo has a story to tell...







Ruth Buzzy and Bee-atrice continue to do quite well.



I started a honeybee garden.  It will evolve over the next few years but I have started with Bee Balm, Zinnias, Sedum, Guara, Tall Phlox, Rosemary, Bellflower, Lily of the Valley, and Lilies.




This is my peony garden planted with my grandmother Julia’s peonies.  It was early spring and I regret that I did not take photos of the garden in full bloom.  Euonymus is in the foreground.




This Kwanzan Cherry was planted in memory of my father after his death. I think it was planted in 2008.  It was beautiful this year.




Grandmother Julia’s azaleas.  I estimate these were planted in the late 40’s to early 50’s.  They are simply spectacular.



Another of Julia’s azaleas.  This is my favorite variety.  Not sure of the name.




One of my favorite flowers, lilacs.  This plant was given to me by a close friend of 52 years! When it was in full bloom, I literally stood before it with my nose buried in those blossoms and breathed in their heavenly scent for 5 full minutes!  What a natural high!!!




Early summer pots. Not quite mature yet.



Recently found out that this shrub is called a Beauty Bush.  It blooms in April and is very pretty. I used it in arrangements for my daughter’s wedding last year.



An Easter arrangement with dogwood, lilac, azalea, and hyacinths.  Simple and pretty.



Ruth Buzzy’s front porch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Summer of Aunt Blanche

I could probably write 100 blog posts about all that has happened in life since I last wrote 5 months ago in February: The Wedding of the Hospitality Manager and her Engineer in April and all the precious moments surrounding it, the advent of a son in the family, the life and times of a woman (me) sandwiched between 2 generations, the loss of The Golden Retriever for 24 hours (which almost broke my heart but strengthened my faith), 2 visits to Ocracoke Island during this time frame, another visit to Hatteras (where I currently am) for my hubby’s family’s 15th annual beach trip, my new hobby as a Beek (beekeeper); I could go on and on. And all of these things have been completely enwrapped, enfolded, surrounded, enveloped, cradled, covered, encompassed, hemmed in, hugged (you get the picture, and thank you, Roget) in God’s precious grace which I have written about time and time again.   But perhaps the most purposeful and meaningful activity I’ve had is the time I’m spending with Aunt

Happy 2nd Anniversary

I just realized today’s date.  It was two years ago this past Saturday, that we closed on 10 Cuttin Sage.  It was also two years ago today that Hurricane Sandy hit the Outer Banks.  Imagine what we were feeling when we had to evacuate an island where we had JUST closed on a house!  Our insurance hadn’t even kicked in yet!  It was a real exercise in faith because we knew that God had had His hand in all of it and we knew that He would carry us and Ocracoke through the storm.  We never worried because we put it in His great hands. This blog started as a marketing tool and has ended up a memoir of sorts about life, family, friendships, love of nature and God’s grace.  It has been said (I can’t remember who, perhaps Luther??) that the heart is an idol factory.  My love for a cottage on Ocracoke is not about an idol in my life, but a gift from God to bless people, a means for good stewardship, and a way to glorify Him, which I can do in a blog.  So here’s to His glory and the fact that He

Nearing the End

Today I went shopping for the last few items needed to stock our beach cottage.  I was almost sad as I considered that we’re nearing the end of this project.  Even though we’re starting a new chapter of being vacation home-owners, the planning and design process is nearing an end.   We now have renters booked for 8 weeks this summer!  If we get 4 more, my husband says that we will have made a successful investment the first year already!!!  What have I learned in all of this? That I really love doing this. If we can make a “go” of this investment, I’m already thinking of the next one because I love to think ahead. The reality is, 10 Cuttin Sage won’t accomodate our family forever. We can go now and take our 2 daughters with 2 friends and fit very comfortably in the house.  After all, it sleeps 6. In the future, it will be 2 daughters with 2 husbands.  Someday there will be 2 daughters, 2 husbands, and grandbabies (hopefully and God willing)! Therefore we might have to have... 2 cott